Recipe of the Month
Vegan Chickpea & Squash Curry
· 1 tbsp vegetable oil
· 1 onion, roughly chopped
· 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
· thumb-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
· 1 tsp garam masala
· ½ tsp cumin
· ½ tsp turmeric
· 1 fresh red chilli, roughly chopped
· 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
· 400g tin coconut milk
· ½ butternut squash, seeds removed, chopped into 2cm/½in pieces
· 400g tin chickpeas
· fresh coriander leaves
· 150g/5oz basmati rice
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garam masala, fresh red chilli, cumin and turmeric and cook until the onions have softened.
2. Pour in the tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to a boil then add pumpkin and chickpeas. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30–40 minutes. Check occasionally and add water if needed.
3. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and cook for another 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
4. Place the rice in a large bowl and cover with water, carefully discard the water and repeat until the water runs clear.
5. Place the rice in a saucepan and add 500ml/18fl oz water, season with salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and leave to stand with the lid on for a further 10 minutes.
6. Serve the curry with rice and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.